Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dogs in the work space

Check this out. I just discovered that Amherst College allows employees to bring their dogs to work! Very cool.

Separate from service dogs (which we discussed earlier) I have always thought it would be fun to bring the family pooch to work. They say it helps to reduce stress in the workplace which is always a good thing. At the same time, it would probably be quite distracting, kind of like when people bring new babies to the office.

When I was in graduate school, during the summer I would occasionally bring my beagle to the office. It was quiet, the doors were closed, and we would only run into folks in the elevator or the hall.

Unfortunately, Phoebe would not be the best dog to bring to work. She is nervous around strangers and tends to shrink back from them, snarl or bark. If I had the opportunity to bring her to work when she was a pup, that probably would have helped with her socialization process. She would have been exposed to lots of people, noises and activities. As it is, we have a pretty quiet household.

It’s hard to find information about which companies are pet friendly which is why the Amherst information was so surprising to stumble upon. But I want you to know, this year Take Your Dog to Work Day is Friday, June 20.

No comments: