Friday, March 14, 2008

A good chew toy is worth a lot...


Arf!

The best part of living with Debs is that she always tries to make some fun for me. The problem is that some of the things she gives me that I think are real cool are real gone in a few minutes. See, I like to chew. A lot. And I've got the teeth to do it. Ever since I was a puppy. And, believe me, I’ve chewed a lot. Let’s see, as a puppy…the bottom of all the door moldings in the kitchen (yes, it’s great to be left out of the crate!), the window sill on the floor to ceiling windows in the living room (not particularly tasty but very convenient and relaxing when guarding the house), a pair of eyeglasses (a special treat because they sit on the nose of my beloved), and the $20 bills left on the dining room table (which didn’t taste very good, so I didn’t eat it but only pulled it apart into little teeny-tiny shreds (great fun to watch Debs put the puzzle together -- who says I don't enhance her day?). For some reason I can't quite understand, Debs didn’t seem to be very happy about all this but she didn’t yell at me or punish me…instead, she usually says, "here, chew this instead!"

I’ve really liked all the stuff that Debs has given me to chew on and play with, even if I destroyed it in a minute. It’s just that she isn’t happy with the short term toys. Something about money…what’s that? Frankly, I like pulling the stuffing out of mallard ducks that squeak and, for the most part, I don’t even eat the stuffing. Getting to the squeaky part is GREAT!

Lately, though, one of my favorite toys is this green gel ball. It looks like I could tear it apart, and I’m confident that if I just keep trying, one day I will. So far, I haven't made a dent. But for now, the real fun is getting the treats out of it.


Debs puts my kibble in it and even it tastes great when you’ve had to work hard to get it out of the this puzzle ball. She usually gives me the ball when she’s leaving the house which is nice because it gives me something to do when she’s gone. Even though I pride myself on being a tough chewer, this ball really lasts and lasts. Some times, Debs puts almost my whole dinner in there. What fun! When she really wants to challenge me, she puts in a whole dog biscuit. I can break down the biscuit into little pieces that come tumbling out after I’ve run that ball all over the room or thrown it against the wall a couple of time. Still, usually there are a couple of pieces that get stuck in there, so I climb on Debs' lap in the evening and we work out the last details together. She can be a big help, for a human, that is.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this...the green ball bounces really well. Though it doesn't have the fuzz I like to rip off of a ball, it's almost as much fun to play with as a tennis ball even if it doesn't have treats in the middle.

Jake’s rating on the Triple Crown Everlasting Fun Ball: 5 BONES!


No comments: