Sunday, February 24, 2008

And the Oscar Goes to...the Dogs!

I sure hope Phoebe’s evening was better than mine. Debs tried to ignore me tonight while she watched the Oscars. Of course, she can never quite ignore me and my paws, even the day after my nails were clipped.

So, “No Country for Old Men” won best film. I’ll probably never see it. Can’t recall a Coen film Debs really likes, although she still listens to the soundtrack from “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” Debs isn’t keen on violence and mayhem. Come to think of it, that’s probably why she broke up that little fight I had a with a big golden retriever who tried to sit on me today at the dog park. (Really, Debs, I was just playing hard to get with her. You shouldn’t get all worked up just with a little growling and sparring. We dogs call that “having fun by setting appropriate boundaries.”)


As for me, I’d rather watch something more inspirational, like “The Incredible Journey.” What a great movie! There's the one in 1963 where the dogs don’t talk (which is so much more authentic) and the remake in 1993 in which they do. Who could forget Luath, the Labrador and Bodger the English Bull Terrier? OK, OK, there was a cat, too, named Tao. Meow! All I know is that I could really identify with the dogs who had to face great obstacles over many miles to find their way home to the family they loved. I’d do exactly the same thing to return home to Debs. As for the cat finding her way home, I think that was pure fiction.

Or, why don’t they make some more Lassie movies? I may be young, but I know a classic when I see one – “Lassie Come Home.” You know what else I know? I know that “Lassie” was played by a laddie in that film. Yes, his real name was Pal. We dogs, we just notice things like that right away. He can’t hide his “true nature” from us. I just hope he didn't get a complex from that role.


There are so many great movies with dogs that I can't understand why the Oscars don't have more awards for them. I think my all time favorite is Babe. This movie was nominated for best picture of the year in 1995! The little pig, Babe, is kinda cute but the border collies in the movie really steal the show. This also was an Academy Award-winning movie – a 1995 Australian film that tells the story of a pig who can out shepherd sheep dogs. It’s based on a book “Babe: The Gallant Pig” by Dick King-Smith. If you haven’t seen this in a long while, you should think of renting it again. I know Debs has seen it because she’s always saying “that’ll do, little doggie” to me.


What’s your favorite dog movie? Benji? Arf, Arf! Can't wait until next year at the Oscars!

No comments: