Thursday, February 14, 2008

Me and My Valentine!

What a great Valentine's Day surprise..... Jake came over for a play date today! Now, while you don't know me that well yet, I have to tell you that I like it a lot when Jake comes over. I don't automatically like other dogs I meet, but I have known Jake since he was a sickly young pup (I think I'm a year or two older than him) and now we are both about the same size. Both of these factors mean that I am very comfortable around him.... most of the time.

I don't trust most other dogs. If I'm on a walk and we meet other dogs, especially the ones that are bigger than me or approach me face first, I make sure they know to stay away from me by showing my teeth and sometimes snapping at them.... If I'm at the dog park... well actually, I don't like the dog park very much, especially if it is one of the little ones in the city... I look for a place to hide, usually under the bench Wags is sitting on. If another dog comes over to me, I put on my fiercest expression and show the interloper how sharp my teeth are. We haven't gone to one of the little city dog parks in a while.

So, I like Jake. But, I also have to confess that it is of utmost importance that I keep him in his proper place.... i.e., I am the alpha female. He's not allowed to get attention from our humans unless I say so.... I've been known to make this point quite emphatically in what I think is an appropriate doggie manner. Unfortunately, when I do that I get yelled at, sometimes even thrown in the bathroom for a timeout (well not literally 'thrown' but you know what I mean). Note in the photo above how I'm the one with the rawhide bone.... point made.

At the same time, you should know that Jake and I have a very special relationship... he is the only other dog that I will just throw myself at! I know, it looks like I have no shame! But around him I sometimes just can't help myself.

I think I'm hearing the call of the wild. Perhaps it is time for us to go frolic in the snow! It's cold, but it's more fun to frolic when I have someone to play with.

So, I think this is a wonderful Valentine's day.... I hope you're enjoying it as well.

No comments: