Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dog shows redux and the commercialization of dogs

Since the previous post positions me as a dog show fan, I think it only appropriate to remind our Chicagoland readers that this weekend the International Kennel Club of Chicago will host its annual dog show at McCormick Place.

While I haven't thought of this for a very long time, I now recall that the last time I went to a dog show was as a teenager when our church youth group was somehow volunteered for 'pooper scooper' duty at the local dog show. Can you imagine anything crazier than relying on teenagers to be responsible for picking up poop throughout a dog show venue? Anyway, I have a vague recollection that while avoiding my pooper scooper responsibilities, I wandered around the venue and was very drawn to the beagles. At the time, we had a dog, Bruce, who was allegedly a terrier beagle mix. Later I had a beagle (and he probably had a little something else mixed in as well), so I have a history with and great fondness for the breed. Just a bit of context for my delight over Uno's Westminster victory.

Anyway, the reason I enjoy watching the Westminster dog show is because I get a real kick out of observing the personalities of the dogs. Some of them, when they get in the ring, just strut their stuff in such a confident manner that you can tell who is going to attract the judge's attention. It's as if they know they're hot, they're studly, and they are saying to the judge, 'check me out.' This is why I like watching the show. I also like learning about the breeds. I think the announcers do a very good job of reminding the audience that not all dogs are the same and you have to seriously consider your lifestyle before choosing say a border collie or a Newfoundland.

The previous post also highlights an apparent inconsistency between my enjoyment of watching the WKC show and my strong advocacy of adopting a rescue dog over purchasing a purebred. I have to say that one of the things I don't like about dog shows is that they are a critical part of the commercialization of dogs. Dogs have been bred for specific traits and purposes since man began to domesticate them and breeding purebreds is just an extension of this practice. I just feel that as far as an animal companion goes, there are so many dogs that have been abandoned and are in need of homes that it isn't necessary to encourage the production of specific breeds or other trendy 'new' breeds (don't even get me started on 'labradoodles', etc.... which are, without the trendy marketing, high priced mutts after all) as status symbols. I can't imagine why anyone would choose to spend upwards of $500 (and that would be cheap) for a specific breed of dog when there are other worthy hounds out there, of all shapes, sizes and temperaments, who whould make just as good family pets, maybe even better ones.

Unfortunately, it may also be the case that the 'adopt a needy abandoned/rescue dog' movement has attracted some unscrupulous characters and organizations that present what are actually puppy mill dogs as 'rescue' dogs. This is a hideous and grossly deceptive practice. It is cruel to the dogs and often times results in kind hearted souls adopting what amounts to a 'special needs' dog. It also suggests that the animal adoption industry might benefit from some oversight, whether within the industry itself or from the government.

2 comments:

cookie said...

HI,
Our mom feels similar to yours on the dog show thing. We just think it's great fun to watch all the other dogs on tv. (we feel likd of bad for them, since they aren't lying on the couch like we are)

Like the blogs your mom writes

High five paws.
Cookie and crew

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

hey buddies,

welcome to www.dogswithblogs.com.au - it is great to meet you and I am sure you will make lots of new friends here :-)

love
opy