Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Go Uno!

This is one of my favorite weeks of the year. I love watching the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. (I think the web servers are overloaded today as I'm having a heck of a time going from one page to another.... ) I love learning about the dogs. I love listening to the commentators, especially David Frei. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I missed last night because I was in a plane that had been delayed for approximately three hours, impeding my dog show viewing pleasure. I am thinking I will try and watch it today just for fun.

I was delighted to see that Uno the beagle -- aka: Ch K-Run's Park Me In First -- became the first beagle to win the hound group at Westminster since 1939. In previous year's I have thought that the beagle should have won the hound group, so I'm glad to see young Uno prevail. He'll have a run for his money though with that poodle, Ch Brighton Minimoto, who made it to the finals last year. After all, she now has another year's worth of ribbons attached to her kennel mantle and judging dog shows is not all that different from judging figure skating, i.e., highly subjective.

I have a special place in my heart for beagles as I had beagle for about twelve years. Walter, my beagle, was a fine fellow, with a very dignified countenance, a strong personality, a wonderful howl and, in true beagle tradition, an insatiable appetite. The only day he didn't eat his dinner was his last day on earth. Unfortunately I can't post a photo of Walter because he was around before digital photos and I haven't scanned any of him... but that would be a good project.

It will be interesting to see if either Jake or Debs have anything to say about the Australian Shepherd who won the herding group. Jake doesn't look anything like Ch Vinelake Collinswood Yablon! I suspect they would say that Jake is even more handsome! :-)

No comments: