Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's a cold, cold world...

Yikes! What a cold day here in Chicagoland. The temperature is 1 degree above zero and is heading to 8 degrees below zero tonight. Add in the windchill factor of 25 degrees below and, I'll tell you, this wet nose will freeze and fall off!!

So, I'm not complaining too much that Debs doesn't seem to want to take me outside today. It's just that I gotta go, and don't think I should go out there alone. None of this stuff of opening up the back door and saying "go get 'em!" for me. Debs, you go get 'em!! I've decided, once and for all, that on really, really cold days like this, you better take me out and watch me do my stuff. Otherwise, I'm not heading out the back door. You'll find out, once and for all, who is really in charge. (Gotta go, gotta go...)




In case you are a dog like me, or live with one, you might have some questions about what really, really cold weather does to dogs. Unless your friend is a Alaskan malmute acclimated to the cold, you really do need to worry about the cold and its effects on doggies, including their paws. For an excellent list of safety information related to cold weather protection, take a look at: http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ColdWeather.php

I was really surprised to read that you can spray a dogs paws with cooking spray before walks in very cold weather or that you can clip the fur between our pads to reduce the amount of snow that collects between our toes. I sure hope Debs doesn't read that...I know she's thinking about using a Dremel power sander on my nails but has had good enough sense not to follow up on this yet...although she keeps eying her Dremel. To all my doggie and other friends out there, Arf, Arf! Tell us what you do to keep your dogs warm in winter weather!

Gotta go...gotta go...come on, Debs! Go get 'em!

No comments: